Thursday, January 31, 2008

152.6 - The family that runs together....

Sophie had an appointment with an ENT yesterday for a 2nd opinion on her dizziness. He is having her go through the only other testing available (that he's aware of) for inner ears-- an electronystagmography (ENG). It's on Friday afternoon. Then she has a follow up visit with the ENT next week to discuss the results. He was doubtful it was her inner ears, but at least they are doing a test to get some kind of conrete evidence.

She and I came back to the office to finish some work, then I picked up the boy and took the kiddos to the gym. They both like it there now that it's back to the normal setting (after the summer gym fire), so I'm not feeling nearly as guilty leaving them as I did when it was in the temporary location.

I was so tempted to skip working out--I was just not feeling like it--but knew I needed to badly. So I warmed up on the treadmill with a 15 minute walk to get some mojo going. That helped a lot. I ended up doing 5.1 miles in 60 minutes. I ran 4 of those miles: run one mile, walk and drink water for .1 miles, repeat. I kept a 10:54 pace for 3.5 miles, and then the last half mile I sped up to 10:00. I just felt like kicking it up a notch and did fine running at that pace for 5 minutes.

It wasn't a "I'm king of the world!" type run, but I did feel much better after sweating and moving my body for an hour.

The kids like to run the indoor track, so after I was finished I fetched them from the day care and let them run. Sophie did 8 laps (~10 laps is a mile). I was so proud of her. She has complained about always being last at school when they run or at soccer practice, so it gave her a boost to do all those laps. She ran and walked, of course, (just like her mommy does) but it was an accomplishment for her nonetheless. Luke runs like a mad man all the time. That boy is a running fool.

I'm planning for a repeat of all that again tonight, with a trip to the grocery store thrown in afterwards. We're supposed to get snow tonight, and might be stuck at home tomorrow. Any time they predict snow around here, we either get nothing or get dumped on. So it will be interesting to see what tomorrow holds. At least it's almost Friday.

8 comments:

Tigerlilly said...

I'm so happy that you got your run in. Doesn't it make you feel oh so good?

Hope you dont get dumped on... we just did. I am hoping hubby will drive me to karate class tonight since I cant drive worth squat in the snow!

Glad your doing better... keep smiling and running.. you can overcome it!

Jess said...

That's great that you got yor run in AND got to run with the kids!

Grumpy Chair said...

I think one of the best things we can teach our kids is how to exercise.

I love it when Grumpette wants to work out with me when I do a DVD.

Hope your weather is better today. I thought of you this morning around 6:00 am, when my area had a tornado warning, luckily just severe t'storms and they passed through very quickly.

Anonymous said...

Laura, your devotion to exercise is always such an inspiration to me.

And I love seeing your kids get involved, too. What's good for the goose is certainly good for goslings as well! They are learning such healthy habits by watching you, and even if they move away from them at some point, the healthy habits will be their home base. I know, because I've watched my friends around me that I grew up with to see how their parents raised them and how they act now.

Nancy said...

Good for you, sister! That first step is the hardest, I swear. I love it when the kiddos get involved, so good for them to see. My little guy knows 4 trips around our circle is a mile, too.

Good luck tonight!

P.O.M. said...

Good luck tomorrow!

That's so cute that the kids run too!

ws said...

glad to see you are already teaching Sophie the run/walk technique. hope you had a repeat on Thursday that was just as fun.

Marcy said...

Way to get out there and get it done! Sometimes it's soooo hard to get motivated to get going but I always tell myself "You've never felt bad after you exercise" ;-) Awesome job!

What an awesome example you're setting for the kids! That's terrific!