Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Day 321 - 152.0 - Weather Report

No running yesterday--I ended up getting stuck at work with an account issue and there were tornado warnings on the drive home, so it was a double whamy against me getting any me time. I decided it was better to get the kids than leave them in day care at school or the gym with the bad weather; I just have this thing about wanting my family together in the face of potential disaster.

When I got to Sophie's school, all the students were sitting in the hallway because of the tornado warning. Do you remember those days (those of you in tornado land)? I was glad I got to her an hour earlier than normal and she didn't have to sit in the hallway for long. There's nothing worse than having to sit still and be quiet with nothing to do and hundreds of other squirmy students all around, and oh yeah, a tree might come crashing through the ceiling at any minute.

(Random side note: When I was a kid, my dad was a tornado chaser. He was a HAM radio operator and while we got sent to the basement during a tornado warning, he drove off in the car to find the tornados and warn other HAM radio folks of where the storm was. He was still doing this as recently as 1996 or 97, which I remember because during one storm, DH and I were newly married and in our new house and I turned on the weather to see the local weather man talking on the phone with my dad. It was so bizarre, Mr. Weather Man saying...."We have Jim H. on the phone, a HAM radio operator in Gibson County, who's tracking the funnel cloud." My newlywed husband looked at me like, "WTF?" I'm sure I just rolled my eyes and said something like, "Yeah, I know, try living with that your whole life.")

I got both the kids home safely, and thankfully the storms were short and not destructive, at least in our area. They were both moody and whiny (I blame that on the low pressure system going through so quickly--those with kids or who have taught school can attest to how low pressure systems mess with the little guys), and I was too. So I set Sophie up with a painting project (ponies!) and turned on Luke's favorite TV show, Little Einsteins, and popped a pizza in the oven.

So no running and pizza for dinner, quite a healthy lifestyle I've got going, eh? At least I left it at just pizza. I went to sleep at 9 p.m. and didn't eat anything else the rest of the night, so I did okay calorie wise for the day.

Today the weather is back to normal with abundant sunshine and upper 40s, so I'm planning for a 5 mile run, barring any interruptions. I can't wait to run with my new running partner again.

7 comments:

ws said...

I love weather and tornado chasing sounds almost as fun as going to the beach when hurricane warnings are announced. Glad to hear the weather is back to normal and have a good run today...

As far as politics, I'm not bothered by differing opinions as long as people can explain why they have a certain position, nothing is worse than a middle-of-the-road person that believes what they believe because they were told to believe that...

Anonymous said...

The one sentence that really caught my attention was you going to bed at 9pm. I am so jealous and covetous of a 9pm bedtime! Usually it's between 10 and 10:30 for me which is not enough time when I get up at 5-freaking-30 every morning!! Who would have thought that the bedtime I despised when I was 8 would be the bedtime that I now yearn for at 36?!

Grumpy Chair said...

Glad the storms were not too bad - I don't miss living in Tornado Alley.

Those storm chasers must have nerves of steel to get close to tornadoes.

Enjoy your run today.

Marcy said...

Whoooaaa that weather sounds frightening!

LOL about Garmin. Yes, he (or she depending on your take) IS the best running partner ever. And also sometiems my worst enemy hehe

sheila said...

We were also under a tornado warning yesterday and I didn't get to run. I wonder how close we live to each other. I can't figure out how to e-mail you or anything, but I'd love to find out more about your training and stuff for the 1/2 in indy. Drop me a message if you like
tommashe@roadrunner.com
sheila from Ky

sheila said...

Sorry, I found your response on my blog. This will take awhile to figure out.
sheila from Ky

Jess said...

Tornadoes in January. Weird weather.