Friday, January 18, 2008

151.4 - And the hits just keep on comin'

Oh guys, you are just not going to believe this. Luke has pneumonia.

It's not horrible and he's not in the hospital, so that's the good news. The x-ray at the doctor's yesterday showed it's in the bottom of his left lung. His blood count (I'm assuming white blood cells, the doctor wasn't specific) was 16,000--normal is 12,000 and really bad is above 25,000. He got a huge shot of antibiotics at the doctor's, and will be on augmenten, which is a horrible tasting antibiotic and also causes diarrhea (can this get any better or what?!). He slept with us last night, fitfully but for the most part slept.

My mom surprised me and came down again this morning (she only works half days on Fridays), so after I got Sophie off to school I went back to sleep. I slept until 11 a.m., and of course now have a sleep-over headache, but hey at least I'm rested right?

The doctor put Sophie on prevacid for 3 weeks, because of her vomiting/diarrhea episodes from the past two weeks.

We were at the doctor's office for 2 and a half hours. Needless to say I got no running in, and today is probably not going to happen either, since I still have to get Luke's Rx filled (that will take at least an hour probably) and Mom needs to leave by 5 p.m. to go with her husband to buy a new/used car (his is shot, and he's paying someone $20 a day for gas to drive him to work--he needs a car quickie quick, so it's a priority or else she'd stay late).

I was supposed to be going out with my girlfriends tonight for a birthday surprise party for one of the girls, but of course that's out for me now. I think DH is still going to take Sophie out, which will be good for her since she needs to feel special right now. Luke's getting all the attention--even though it's because he's really sick, it's still attention and apparently 6 year old princesses have a low tolerance for the spotlight being pointed elsewhere.

Thank you all for continuing to read my blog even though it's been nothing but a downer the past few weeks. Eventually I'll be back to being Miss Thang Who Runs and Spreads Sunshine Wherever She Goes.

***Bonus points for anyone who can tell me where the title for today's blog came from. Hint: It's a movie.***

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Good Lord, give her a break already. These kids need to get healthy.

Hang in there, Girlie. He won't give you more than you can handle.

Grumpy Chair said...

Stay strong Laura. I'm glad you got to sleep in and get some rest.

A speedy recovery for little man.

P.S. I know my family and my tummy would be a lot happier if I had a lovely happy pill.

Debbi said...

Hope Luke feels better soon ... antibiotics work fast. You'll probably have to tie him down in a couple of days.

"A Few Good Men." What do I win?

Heather said...

wow I am sorry! I hope he feels better soon.