Saturday, April 21, 2007

Day 63 - Belly of the Beast

Today was the big yard sale-- I've functioned all day on 4 hours of sleep (plus a double espresso latte, but who's counting). It went well, as those things go. I'm just glad it's over.

Here's the thing about my sister's house, where the sale was and where my kids and I slept last night--

It's a junk food junkie's paradise.

She has every imaginable junk food. Last night when I got to her house after my daughter's school play, here's what I scoped out right away:
*fruit loops, lucky charms--new boxes unopened, still in the grocery bags on the counter
*pop tarts in cabinet
*Easter candy, lots of chocolate types
*chocolate ice cream in the freezer, my favorite brand (Edy's slow churned)
*mini muffins, chocolate chip
*cereal bars (not so bad, but hard to eat just one)
*white bread
*Mt Dew

My sister knows I'm doing LAWL. I explained to her I'd have to bring my own food, unless she had fresh fruits and veggies, which I knew she wouldn't. God bless her, she called me Friday afternoon and asked what I wanted and she'd get it for me, since she had to go to the store anyway (I would have had to, because the fridge is empty at my house too, but because I've eaten it all and need to restock).

So I was protected with my carrots, cauliflower, apples, LAWL shake, and chicken breasts. But don't think for a minute it was easy to pass by all the CRAP just laying in wait. The food in her house is the stuff of my childhood, the comfort of comforts, the Luckiest of Charms. Which is why it's in her house, since it was in her childhood too. She just hasn't chosen to deal with her food demons like I have (she's also significantly overweight, size 20ish, and she smokes).

I was really proud of myself for sticking to my plan and not indulging even a little. I love my sister, and she's one of my best friends, so I'm not even going to go there about how I wish she'd change her ways. They are HER ways, she's a comforter of others, and needs a lot of comfort herself. She does that with food. She doesn't push food on me, so it's all good. At least, until she gets about 10 years older and starts to have serious health problems, but I can't make her change and instead I choose to love her for who she is.

That was the landscape I was in today. The lack of sleep, abandunce and availability of junk food, the weight gain yesterday, the stress of being around Mom all day and seeing my Dad and his wife this afternoon-- all could have contributed to a "what the hell" day. It didn't. I stuck it out and had an OP day.

I just hope the scale plays along tomorrow morning and rewards me with a loss.

No comments: