Wednesday, June 18, 2008

150.6 - 5 running facts

Carly tagged me with the 5 Running Facts meme, so I'm playing along at last.

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago? Nonexistent. I didn't start seriously running until April 2007.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience? Best: Running on the Indianapolis 500 Track on May 3rd, 2008. I'd been warned by several people that it was going to be rough, so I went in with a PMA and ended up having a great time. It was the most festive place on the race course--cheerleaders & music blaring and video of the finish line--and even though I'm not a big racing fan, I couldn't help but be in awe of where I was running. Worst: A few weeks before the Indy Half, I turned my left ankle on a run, so badly that it made me cry and I was scared I would be injured and not be able to race. Thankfully it wasn't bad and it didn't affect my training or my race.

3. Why do you run? Initially, so I could burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time. Now, to burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time. Oh, and I love the endorphins. Gotta get me some natural runner's high on a regular basis, or I go a little nuts.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running? Best: Get fitted by a running store professional and buy the right shoes for your feet and body. And also get good socks.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know. I'm claustrophobic (do you guys know this already?). I went on a caving trip in my mid 20s with our church's high school youth group, and the first thing we did was crawl through a tunnel, military style on our bellies. It took 10 minutes to get through the tunnel, but it seemed like an eternity because that's when I learned I had claustrophobia issues. The rest of the 2 hour spelunking trip was miserable for me. I was never claustrophobic before, but ever since I have real issues with tight spaces. (Going up the St Louis Arch in the tiny egg-shaped elevator wasn't too bad, because I just focused on 4 year old Sophie sitting on my lap, but I could barely keep it together at the top. We had to go back down after about 15 minutes, even though Sophie loved it up there, because I couldn't handle it.)

If you're a runner and you haven't done this meme, I tag you! Go do it now.

Here are the rules:
1. Copy the rules (or your version of them), and the set of questions onto your blog post, provide your own answers, and then tag 5 new people.
2. Be sure that everyone tagged knows they have been invited to play, go to their blogs and leave them a special comment letting them know, and refer them to your blog for details.
3. Once they've answered the questions on their own blog, they should come back to yours to tell you.
***
I got to run outside yesterday. It was only 79* at 4 p.m. Perfect running weather. Absolutely gorgeous. I'd forgotten my Garmin at home though (hubby used it for a run last weekend and I haven't needed it since because of the heat), so I ran only with my regular watch. It was kind of freeing, not knowing exactly how fast (or, rather, slow) I was running. I just ran/walked for 45 minutes and felt nicely spent afterwards. Ah, the good ole days of running without digits.

Tonight it's my weights class and I'm ready to feel the burn, baby.

Today was the first day since starting WW that I had fast food (Subway roasted chicken on wheat) for lunch. I know that staying away from McD's & ChikFilA salads is helping my weight loss, because I'm controlling my portions & calories (not to mention sodium) so much more when I bring my own food from home. But I ran out of my Southwest Chicken Salad Topper last night (I made a double batch and froze half, and it lasted through a week and a half of lunches), so it's time to go to the store and buy stuff to make more. Hopefully I'll have time and energy tonight to make that happen.

Because between not eating fast food and not eating at night and staying on plan and working out on a regular basis, the weight is melting off. And that's a trend I want to continue.

3 comments:

Grumpy Chair said...

You are so close to being in the 140's. Oh my!

Weight melting off is a good trend, indeed.

LMI said...

Sounds like you're doing great, Laura!

Those endorphin highs from running are something else, aren't they? Hard to beat, b/c they feel so *earned.*

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - look how close you are to NOT being "overweight"(BMI)!!!

I was hoofing it on the treadmill last night at a pretty fast clip when I realized that it would be easier to just run. So I did. For several minutes. Woohoo!! It felt so good to run, I may have to try the C25k again soon. Getting some of the weight off has made it alot easier to run (duh).

I'm so glad that things are going well for you right now. Go YOU!!