Sunday, June 22, 2008

149.4 - It's not a fluke! And weekly recap

It's worth another weekend post (especially since I'm probably not going to be here much Monday after Sophie's tonsil surgery) to put that 149 up there again. And it's a smidge closer to .0, which makes me quite motivated to stay on track.

I finished week 2 on WW Online with 20 weekly activity points earned (and eaten) and 3.5 weekly allowance points left over. And I lost 2.4 pounds. I'm averaging around 28 points a day, which is 1400 calories, give or take. (If you're not familiar with WW points, here's a quick run down: one point is about 50 calories, but the points system takes fiber and fat content into account as well. So an 80 calorie food can also be 1 point, but a 25 calorie food with 3 grams of fat is also 1 point. A general estimate of calories is 1 point=50 calories.)

I completely expect my loss to slow down, since it's usually the first couple of weeks only with quick weight loss. I also realize how freaking lucky I am that my body is responding to diet and exercise again. I truly think it made a difference that I have been hanging out at 155ish for 9 months. I gave weight loss a good solid break, and I guess that's helped with making the scale move down again.

Three weeks ago on June 2nd, I was up to 159.8. That was a Monday and I was holding on to a lot of water from weekend fun foods. But still. That's a ten pound drop in 3 weeks. Not surprisingly, I've already noticed a difference in how my clothes fit. And a size Medium dress that was too tight in the waist and hips just a few weeks ago looked great this morning when I tried it on.

One of my big problems I have battled for years is eating at night. Since starting WW 15 days ago, not once have I eaten at night (defined as after I've gone to bed--yes, I'd wake up in the middle of the night because I had to pee or a kid needed something, and I'd eat). Not once in 15 days. I'm well on my way to a new 21 day habit being established.

Also, WW Online is confirming that I continue to be motivated by small goals, like following a race training schedule or going to a weights class twice a week to get a free t-shirt. I make food choices, particularly in the evening after my points are mostly gone, based on how many points I have left for the day. And I'm striving to have leftover allowance points and hit a decent number of activity points every week. So far, it's working.

Next week is going to be a challenge, though. I'm going to have Sophie's favorite foods around so she'll eat after recovering from her surgery, and those foods are some of my trigger foods (cake, ice cream, and donuts, oh my!). I'm going to buy small quantities--like a mini-cake, a pint of ice cream, and a 6 pack of donuts--so that if I am tempted to eat her food, I'll be eating a small amount and will hopefully realize I'm consuming her stash and will stop myself before I do much damage.

It's funny how success is self-perpetuating. When you are in a rut and feeling like a failure, it can be hard to find your get up and go. But once you hit a groove and see things start to happen, you just want to keep that good feeling going.

Vickie has Newton's Laws on her blog's sidebar and this one is my favorite--"a body in motion stays in motion." I'm praying nothing gets in my way to stop my motion. Because I like where I'm going.

8 comments:

Heather said...

that is so wonderful! it always feels great when you find somethign that works for you and feels right.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, man, you are doing fantastically. I hope my weight loss will pick up soon. I have a question for you. Do you find the w.w. online easy to use? Every time I look at it I get frustrated that it does not seem to be user friendly. But when I hear people are doing well, I wonder if I just don't know how to navigate around it well? Anyways, any tips you could give me would be helpful.

I will be praying for you and Sophie tomorrow.

LMI said...

You're doing so well--hope everything for little Sophie goes smoothly tomorrow!

Vickie said...

ideas of things that are smooth going down and can be made to be cold:

applesauce - you can find real applesauce with no added sugar

smoothies in blender with real fruit, ice cubes, and plain yogurt,

canned pears/peaches are soft and might taste good to her - Kroger has these in cans with no added sugar/syrup - they are in real fruit concentrate.

popcicles can be found (or made) with real juice (I delute by half with water). If you don't have a popcicle freezer thing - teeny tiny paper cups with plastic spoons work well.

noodles, steamed rice, baked chicken, steamed veggies are soft

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got your groove back, Laura. I still haven't totally clicked in to mine, but I'm getting closer to finding the groove each week.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! Way to girl girl!! So glad you've got your groove thang going!!

Good luck with Sophie - let us know how everything went, k? =)

Nancy said...

WHOA - Congrats!!! I'm so excited for you. I do think the maintenance phase was a great idea for you. Hang out there and maintain and let your body get used to being 155. Great job kicking it in the pants again. I got up to 161 about 4 weeks ago also and have finally gotten myself under control. I'm right behind you at 153.5 today but the 140's would be dreamy. Let's do it together!!

Glad the surgery went well. I'm just catching up after being gone so long.

Take care!

Carly said...

Great job! You are melting! You have inspired me to get on the wagon.