Saturday, February 23, 2008

"You are so money, baby"

Anyone else out there love the movie "Swingers"? (The title to today's post is from this movie.) Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Ron Livingston, 1996. It's on the IFC channel right now, and I'm sneaking a bit in while Sophie's in her room playing. Too many curse words for it to be on while a 6 year old's in the room. But it has to be one of my all time favorite movies. It's as funny now as it was the first time I saw it.

So last night I made it to the gym--YAY! It was great, 3.1 miles in 34:10. Although something really weird happened while I was running. I had the uncontrollable urge to jump on the sides of the treadmill and stop running. It was like I had a fear I was going to fall or something and I couldn't help myself from jumping off. Sometimes I'll jump on the sides if I need to stop to catch my breath quickly and I don't want to slow down the treadmill to a complete stop. But last night it was like my legs had a mind of their own. I slowed to a walk a couple of times, thinking that might help, but the urge was still there. I finally just had to talk myself through it in my head--I literally counted my steps and kept repeating positive thoughts to myself while I ran. The urge never really completely went away. It was the strangest thing that's happened to me on the treadmill.

After my run, I did 2 minutes of plank and then 10 pushups. I changed my pushups this time, thanks to Vickie's suggestion last week of doing pilates/yoga pushups, where your arms are close to your body and your elbows tucked in, instead of a wide arm stance. Holy cow, those are hard. I did all 10 on my knees and I am really sore this morning. My back and my chest got a major workout, from 10 simple pushups. Dang, those are definitely the way to go.

Friday nights have become our Chinese takeout night lately. I ate way too much Mountain Snow Shrimp and rice, then later last night (and I am completely embarrassed by this) I ate an entire pint of ice cream. I haven't done that since I weighed over 200 pounds. It was a new flavor (caramel ice cream with chocolate covered sugar cone bits) and I don't know what came over me. I got up after putting Sophie to bed at 10, and sat on the couch watching TV and just ate the entire thing. That behavior is not going to repeat itself any time soon. I need to admit that I have no control over ice cream and it simply needs to stay out of this house.

So I didn't bother weighing myself this morning. I didn't want to be down about the number on the scale. It's a new day--I'm going to run 7 miles today and eat some decent meals. Sophie is having a friend over to spend the night tonight and I'll be busy with kids and laundry and getting all the weekend stuff around the house done, so hopefully that will keep my mind off of junkie foods.

And all weekend I'm going to keep telling myself, "You are so money, baby."

5 comments:

Pokey said...

You are SO money, baby!!! :)

You rock Laura - so what if you ate too much Chinese food? Fffft....tomorrow is another day. Hope your 7 miler was FANTASTIC!

Marcy said...

Wise choice not stepping on the scale after Chinese. I had some General Tso's Chicken, an eggroll and some pork fried rice the other day. Yuuupppppp instant 5 pound weight gain the next day. Bloat city LOL

Heather said...

I am glad that you made it to the gym, and Im sure after your ice cream incident, working out and eating healthy will help that become a distant memory.

ws said...

hope you enjoyed your 7 miler and the rest of your weekend. ice cream can be evil...should really want to develop a disdain for it, spend a few years scooping it.

Anonymous said...

That's kinda scary about the treadmill - sorta like a mini anxiety attack! I hope it doesn't happen again. =(

But great job on just getting to the gym and working out!!

And the ice cream? well let's just say mmmmmmm...ice cream... and leave it at that!