Thursday, February 21, 2008

152.8 - Ice Storm, Part Deux

We've got ice again. No snow like last week so it's just ugly and scary out there. School was cancelled this morning before the ice even started, but by 9:00 a.m. when I was on my way to work the roads were really slick. I dropped off Luke and called DH to complain and whine because I didn't want to go to work, but he said I'd be fine, just come on in. Easy for a man to say. Every man I know loves this stuff--it's like the last frontier they have to conquer.

So Sophie was with me at work again today. And I didn't take a break again today. And there was no running again today. And to make things super special, I stopped off at Dominos after work for a cheese pizza and breadsticks because I felt like comfort food for dinner. I'm sure I'll see a nice little gain tomorrow morning thanks to the massive amount of salt and carbs I inhaled tonight.

I've already arranged for Sophie to go to a friend's house tomorrow if they cancel school; if they do, she will have missed this entire week.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get to go to the gym tomorrow. I sure need to. After my pizza binge tonight, I started thinking that I really want to lose another 18 to 20 pounds to reach my holy grail weight of 135. I'm not going to start the effort until the spring when things are hopefully more predictable and "normal." I'm also not gonna put any time limit on it. Could take me 2 years and that would be fine. I'm happy with what I've achieved so far, but know I could still look better. And, by the way, the only one I'm looking better for is myself. Plus, with another 20 pounds off I could surely run faster than I do now. That in itself is motivation for me to lose weight. If I want to run a marathon in my 40th birthday month (in 2 years and 2 months), it would be helpful to be as fast and lean as possible, don'tcha think?

In other random news, I pulled all my acrylic nails off today. I've had acrylics for over 3 years now and I absolutely love them. It's expensive to keep them up--getting them filled every 2-3 weeks is $23. But I figure I'm worth it and I work hard and I just live for crap like that. With last week's snow storm and this week Sophie being sick and now today's ice, I haven't been able to get away for an appointment to have them filled in. My middle fingernail actually broke apart and they were well past 3 weeks of growth, which is completely gross. And it's not looking like I'm gonna get to go to my nail guy, Vinnie, any time soon, because we're booked solid with client appointments tomorrow (assuming the ice doesn't keep everyone away) and I don't like to go on the weekend and spend time away from the kiddos. So anyway, I decided to just rip them all off and cut them short and polish them myself. It was harder than I thought to peal off the acrylic. And my nails are in awful shape, of course, but with polish over them it's not that bad. I'm not sure when I'll get acrylics put back on. I'll probably go natural for a while just because we are going to be so busy the next couple of months. And I figure with the money I will save, I'll go have a massage and/or a facial, which is way more pampering anyway.

One more thing--Sally had a wonderfully inspirational post yesterday. Go read it when you have a chance.

5 comments:

sheila said...

Oh my god, this ice was horrible, no workout for me today either. I also get my nails done and its been about 3 weeks. I'm hoping to get mine done tomorrow after work if it isn't to bad out. Kacey has a tournament in Paducah this weekend, want the nails to look nice around all the other cheerleading moms LOL.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out, Laura. :) I appreciate it and am glad you really enjoyed my post.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the weather - I'm so so sick of gray dreary cold days. I want sunshine and birds singing and kids playing in the park and warm Spring days and weiner roasts by the campfire! That's not too much to ask is it?

Ugh. I'm ready for February to get the heck outta Dodge!

Lori G. said...

We were supposed to get an ice storm but so far, we haven't. (Maybe later, ugh.)

I really feel for everyone who has kids in this kind of weather. It's not even snow -- just treacherous ice.

Stay warm and safe! Spring will be here soon.

Grumpy Chair said...

"it's like the last frontier they have to conquer." Oh Laura too funny. When we lived in Oklahoma, Fang was ready to go anywhere with a sheet of ice on the road. He would just poo poo away my concerns.

I have never had long nails, only because it bothers me when I type, but they sure are lovely looking.

I love Sally's blog. She posted the best Blue Cheese dressing recipe and I make it every week.

You have a great plan and you are maintaining quite nicely, so I say go for it in the spring!

Have a great weekend.