Friday, May 30, 2008

156.4 - Flashback Friday

So yesterday I read some of my old posts from 2006 to try to get some perspective on my whiny-"my ass is still so big"-ness. (And thank you all for your positive support. What would I do without you guys?)

Here's one from June 7, 2006, that slapped me in the face:


The scale finally moved in the right direction this morning. 202. Down 4 lbs from Saturday. I knew I was retaining water, but it helps so much to see the confirmation of it on the scale. If I can hold it, then I'll be down about 4 lbs for the 4 weeks with WW. I can definitely handle that. That's 52 pounds a year.

What's my ultimate goal weight? I'd love to be down to 135, but even at my thinnest at age 23 I was 145. Can I get to 135 in my late 30s? I have absolutely no idea. At this point, I'd be thrilled to get into a size 12 in regular clothing stores and never have to shop at fat girl stores again. That's my goal for the end of 2006--to be a size 12. That might be aggressive, and if I end up at a loose 14 by Christmas, that's okay too. By next summer, I want to be a size 12. Then by Christmas of 2007 I want to be a size 10.... by 2008, a size 8. I think these are numbers and time frames that are attainable.

More goals--I want to run a 5K this fall. There are plenty in the area, and I am going to sign up for one and DO IT! Not sure I'll ever run a marathon, but I could perhaps do the 1/2 marathon in Evansville next year.....Today is day 2 of week 2 of 5k program. I want to start yoga, but not sure if that will happen today or not. Happy to be making positive progress.

PERSONAL TRANSFORMATION TAKES A LONG TIME AND A LOT OF WORK

I was wearing size 18s when I wrote this post. I was at the early stages of becoming a runner (thank you couch to 5k program), and was doing OK on Weight Watchers but it didn't stick. The rest of 2006 was a bitch, and I got really off track and didn't regain possession of myself until February 2007 when I joined LA Weight Loss and finally found the focus & energy I needed to lose 55 pounds in 9 months.

Reflecting on the goals I outlined two years ago, I've met them all, even if they weren't exactly at the times I'd predetermined. By the summer of 2007 I was in size 12s and this summer I'm in 8s. I've run two 5k's, a 7k, and a half marathon.

For crying out loud--I have a damn lot to be happy & proud about on the weight loss and fitness front.

There's nothing like remembering where you came from to realize how far you've come.

***
The past 2 days I've gotten in some decent runs. Wednesday I did 4.5 miles, and to shake things up I ran the first 3 and walked the last 1.5. I haven't walked that far in ages, and I really liked it. I kept my pace quick and pumped my arms, avg. a 14ish walking pace. Then yesterday I did 4 miles total, with a blisteringly fast first mile (9:50--yeah baby!) and then 2 more miles running, and the final mile walking. I feel like I'm working my glutes more by walking quickly, and it's definitely not boring. Maybe it will help keep things fresh.

Wednesday night was horrific on the food front. I must be low on serotonin or something because I've been struggling like mad to keep my spirits on a halfway even keel, even with all the exercise. So I face-dived into massive carbs and had a nice little gain yesterday (157.0). But last night, I kept it together and only had a yogurt cup around 10 p.m., and I was hungry for dairy, not trying to soothe myself. That is a victory, my friends.

Luke starts his new preschool Monday, so we are going to visit the center this afternoon. Then my mom will keep the kiddos while I workout. Probably a weights class, if I can get there by 4:30.

The weekend--not sure what's on tap. Hopefully it will be uneventful and everyone will stay healthy. I plan to run a long one, maybe 8 miles, if there's enough me-time for that. And a visit to the pool is definitely in our sights, as long as it's sunny. It's the 2nd summer in 13 years that I will be semi-comfortable in a bathing suit (thank the fashion gods for skirted bottoms). And that is a huge victory, indeed.

7 comments:

Marcy said...

HOLY!! Wow, that's insane! You've accomplished SOOOO much since then, and just think of what MORE you're going to do in the future ;D ;D CONGRATS chica, you've come a LOOOONNGG way, baby!

Anonymous said...

wow - great post girl!! It's very inspiring to see how far you have come. And I'm glad you realize that you have so much to be proud of, because you do!!

I have decided that I like to mix up walking and running together, running sometimes feels too hard, and walking can get a little boring, but if I do a little of both, I feel really good.

Have a good weekend sistah!!

Roni said...

"For crying out loud--I have a damn lot to be happy & proud about on the weight loss and fitness front."


YES YOU DO!!!

ANd having the blog to look back on is awesome, isn't it?!?

Jess said...

It's always satisfying to look back and see how far you've come -- congrats!

Heather said...

good for you! and Im glad that reading those old entries helped. I read something I had written to myself in like 2004 and while I failed for a long time, I finally got something right that I had hoped and told myself for so long. so you are rihgt, we should focus on our accomplishments more rather than focusing on the negative.

Anonymous said...

"By the summer of 2007 I was in size 12s and this summer I'm in 8s. I've run two 5k's, a 7k, and a half marathon.

For crying out loud--I have a damn lot to be happy & proud about on the weight loss and fitness front.

There's nothing like remembering where you came from to realize how far you've come."

This is such a useful post Laura -- I hope that in 6 months or a year's time I can look back on little potholes and see the bigger picture, of how far I have come.

Best wishes,
Sharon

RunEatRepeat said...

You do have so much to be proud of. I would be very happy if I was you. Keep up the good work.

That 9:50 mile is great!