Tuesday, September 30, 2008

147.6 - Almost October, AKA The Last Day of September

It's unbelievable to me that tomorrow is October 1st.

October is bitter sweet for me.

I love this time of year. Cooler temps, changing fall leaves, sweaters & jeans. It's the best time of year to run and be outside, IMO.

Halloween is fun for the kids, of course, and we always have an adult Halloween party with our friends so the grown ups get to play too.

Luke's birthday is the weekend after Halloween, so that's more fun to anticipate.

But it also marks that "the year is almost over" milestone for me.

We have to start planning our client Christmas party.... already. We will be talking about who in the family will be hosting Thanksgiving within the next few weeks. And retailers will be putting out Christmas decorations soon.

I'm a big planner--I like to know what's next, all the time. I'm not very good at living in the moment and so it's no wonder when October 1st hits, I'm already thinking about Christmas.

But this year, I'm going to need to work harder than ever to NOT live in the future. It's too uncertain for me right now. And truly, I suppose the future is always uncertain. I'm just unusually aware of that today.

Rather than thinking "tomorrow is October 1st" I need to relish in "today is September 30th." It's going to be a stretch, I think, but if nothing else I've learned in the past two years that I can grow and change.

As the wise old master Turtle in "Kung Fu Panda" reminds us....
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That's why they call it the present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Hopefully things will start to settle down sooner rather than later.

Try to enjoy each day as it comes.

Keep up the good work on maintaining the loss/ continuing to lose.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Laura, part of the present you almost forgot to enjoy is that great weight you posted today! Good for you.