Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 208 - 155.8

I think I'm hooked.

I ran outside yesterday after work, deciding it wasn't that hot and I just needed to suck it up and do it. It felt great. And I ran 3.3 miles in 38:30. And now I don't want to go back to the treadmill!

There's a park close by my office that has an asphalt running surface, and mapmyrun.com showed it as being .81 miles around the loop. It's a little less than a mile to run to the park, so I ran around the loop twice and then ran back to the office. It was a pretty afternoon, with a nice breeze and I was in the shade most of the run. I even got to watch some cross country kids run--my God there were some tight bodies out there, and they were FAST. I wish I'd discovered running when I was 17 and had looked like that in high school. I had a few minutes to spare before picking up the kids, so I drove the course to find the exact miles.

My quads were pretty sore yesterday from the race, which surprised me. I guess the extra speed and the concrete worked my legs differently than usual, which is a good thing, I'm sure. They're still sore today, but hopefully they'll loosen up so I can run this afternoon. I had injured my quad last summer (when I was still 200 pounds and running just enough to hurt myself) and it took a couple months for it to heal all the way. I don't want to do that again, so I may rest today. We'll see.

I've got a dentist appointment to get my new crown put on (I hate getting older and having things on my body fall apart). So I'll sign off and wish you all a super Tuesday.

5 comments:

ws said...

that's a good thing! just something much more enjoyable, at least to me, about having some scenery distraction even if you aren't really paying attention. if you can find trails it is easier on the body... so you are saying it is a compliment when people asked me over the summer if I was training for high school?!? Though they are instruments of torture, you could buy a foam roller for the quad soreness, despite the pain they work out the kinks nicely.

The body breaking down thing is one of the reasons I'd prefer not to get older...have a great run this afternoon if you make it outside. I'll be thinking of your decent weather while I burn up in the sun.

Tigerlilly said...

Uh-oh... sounds like you've become one of 'them'. LOL

I look forward to the day when I can run outside in public...shoot, I look forward to the day I can run! Hehehe.

I also look forward to being 80.. when you run out of things to fix and replace!

Have a great day!! Enjoy your run...

Tiffany said...

Congrats on your 5K time. I did one on Sunday as well, it was suppose to be a 5K trail run but we only ran on a trail for less than a mile, then about a mile of dirt road and the rest was all paved. Oh well. Your time was much better than mine - mine was 36 minutes and 56 seconds - but hey I am 5 months pregnant so I just want to finish at this point.

I understand the cross country runners. I live in a college town and we live just outside city limits in a pretty area with dirt roads. The cross country and track team come by all of the time and do sprints up and down our road - I have never seen so many college boys running in those short shorts with no shirts on!!!

Marcy said...

Uh oh . . . . poor treadmill LOL! Yeah right. I hate working out indoors more than anything.

Rest up or if you do go out go light :-) It's better to be safe than sorry, right?

God I remember those days . . .being 185-190lbs and trying to work out. Oh gosh I don't miss them LOL

Debbi said...

I'll take outdoor running over the dreadmill any time. I'm debating about doing my six-mile tempo run indoors tomorrow. I know I can regulate my speed better, but I also know I'll want to shoot myself halfway through it. Heh.