Friday, October 19, 2007

Setback

Sophie was dizzy yesterday afternoon around 5 when I picked her up from school day care. She was dizzy most of night, and is dizzy again today. It's day 11.

The doctor said to watch her over the weekend and call back Monday. I'm not ready to check her into the hospital yet, but we're close. She's eating and drinking and only dizzy when she tries to walk. And she's not vomiting, or dizzy when she lies down. She's been on prednisone for 4 days--it's starting to make her face puffy--and I would have thought it would work by now if it was going to.

It's just too long.

I got a taste of normalcy yesterday, and got to run almost 3 miles. It was heaven.

Unfortunately, the last 5 minutes of the run were plagued by worry because day care had called me on my cell to tell me she wasn't feeling well and I needed to come and get her. I carry my cell phone with me when I run so I was able to talk with them and ran the last 5 minutes as fast as I could to get back to my car. I knew she wasn't in life-threatening danger or anything, but I felt awful that I couldn't run faster to get to her more quickly.

She's with my mom now, and the poor baby is upset because I've told her she can't go to her friend's birthday party tomorrow. It's at a state park an hour away and I just can't handle having to carry her everywhere and not let her run around and play with the other kids. And if she's better tomorrow, then that's great. Maybe we'll go. But I'm not holding out for it.

This is such a roller coaster. We were all so happy yesterday, thinking it was over. I am getting really worried it's something other than complicated migraines. And I'm not a worrier--I cope and get through. But it's just too much, too long.

We'll see what the weekend holds. I'll post updates if things change, one way or another. You all are just as important to me as my "real life" friends. Thank you for all your prayers and support.

7 comments:

Lori G. said...

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I was so hoping Sophie would be feeling better. I am worried about her and I'm not even her mother. Please keep us posted and I will be saying a prayer that Sophie gets better soon. You take care of yourself too.

Tigerlilly said...

She'll be on the top of my prayer list....

Grumpy Chair said...

Laura, I will be thinking of you, Sophie, your hubby and son this weekend.

Take care.

Vickie said...

So sorry that you all are going through this.

A woman was talking about having an ENT "adjust the stones in the back of her head" to fix her dizziness this morning at yoga. I asked her to show me where her "stones" were - and she couldn't specifically.

But it fixed her dizziness.

Whatever this is for her - it is NOT the kind that gets me - I asked if she could hear her breathe in her ears (ever) and she can't. I asked if it is worse on one side than the other (if my right ear is "up" mine is worse when it is bothering me).

She said that the adjustment corrects her dizziness immediately. ENT adjusts and she gets up and is FINE.

I am not suggesting that this is the case for Sophie - just saying that it was something that I had NEVER heard before.

Tiffany said...

I kept hoping you are going to tell me that she had a great day at she had a great say at school and this dizzy spell has passed. I know you have probablly received tons of advice but I have to through in my two cents could these dizzy spells by an inner ear infection? Just a thought - I am thinking about you.

Nancy said...

I'll be thinking about you. I'm so sorry this isn't going away. Do keep us posted.

Jess said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about the setback. Hope it's temporary!