Monday, December 31, 2007

Day 312 - 155.4 Time to pay the piper

No more free ride for me. The poundage has arrived--a little over 3.5 pounds--along with the New Year. Is it any wonder January 1st is when so many people start a new diet?

While this isn't a new diet for me, I definitely need a new commitment to my previously healthy lifestyle. There's no need to beat myself up or lament the past few weeks; what's the point in that? They are what they are and they're over, and thankfully The Holidays happen only once a year.

So. I'm out of the house today, with a short work day and a run ahead of me. I haven't had my running shoes on in a week and I truthfully haven't missed it. I would like to say I'm aching to run, but you know how a a body in motion stays in motion and a body at rest stays are rest....well, that's me. My body's been at rest far too long. Time to kick it into gear.

While laying around on my lazy butt this weekend, I read Water for Elephants and absolutely loved it. I could not put it down and spent every spare minute reading. I love and hate books like that. Love them, because they're so fabulous, but hate them, because my life is basically on hold until the book is done. If you haven't read it and decide you want to, I will caution you on one thing--don't read the prologue if you like surprise endings. Me, I don't mind knowing how things turn out and have even been known to skip to the end of a book because I can't stand not knowing. But it drives my DH crazy, so if he reads it (and I'm hoping he does because it's one of the few non-chick-lit/diet/running books I've read and I like it when we can share thoughts on books) I'll have him skip the prologue.

I'll leave you today with a fun pic of the kids. One day last week--I can't remember which, they've all run together--Sophie and Luke were in the back of the house while I was cleaning and picking up, and they were quiet for about 20 minutes and I figured I better go see what's going on. I find them in Sophie's room, and they are both dressed up in fairy costumes. Luke says "I a butterfly Mommy! I a butterfly!" Too stinking cute, don'tcha think?

Happy New Year!!!


12 comments:

Nancy said...

Well that's a better expected happy ending to 20 minutes of silence. Mine usually end up somehow with mascara being used as paint or something dreadful like that. They are SO sweet!!

Back to the healthy lifestyle. for both of us! I've enjoyed tagging along on your journey. Such an inspiration you are.

Happy 08!!

Jess said...

I keep seeing that book at B&N, but haven't read it yet. Perhaps it will be next on my list.

I just finished "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold, and it was disturbing and absorbing -- I read it in two days!

Good luck with the new resolve and have a good new year's!

Tigerlilly said...

I think the new year is good for one thing, recommitments! You are so close to your goal.. I cant wait to celebrate with you!

I LOVED that book, its on my recommended reading list. Some other favorites are 'Ahabs Wife' and 'The Mermaid Chair'.

happy new year!

Grumpy Chair said...

Alice Sebold's "The lovely bones" was that way for me, I read it when Fang Jr. was in 3rd grade and wanted to ride his bike around the block - I was like - "sorry kid not happening".

Your kids are so delightful and cute as can be. Does Luke watch "Diego"? Grumpette as picked up so much about animals from his show, to the point where it leaves me speechless.

Laura, you really have been a wonder this year. I hope 2008 holds the same for you.

Lori G. said...

They are so sweet! I love the photo!

Listen, just recommit yourself and the pounds should disappear. I honestly think there's going to be periods where it goes up and then you recommit yourself and there you go.

You have such a wonderful lifestyle and it's going to keep going on through 2008 and infinity.....Happy New Year!

Cookie Monster said...

I LOVED Water for Elephants! LOVED it.
Have you read "The Myth of You and Me"? Also one of my favs!
Happy new Year!

Anne M. said...

Your children are so adorable! What a great story to tell with a picture to illustrate it.

The poundage may have arrived but let me tell you something -- reading your last post, reflecting on the 60 lbs you lost last year -- really hit me hard. I was and am so impressed with your commitment and focus that got you those results, and know that you have the same strengths inside to recommit again to get to your goal.

Happy New Year!

miss petite america said...

cuties, indeed! wonder where they get it ;)

i am the same way with books. i can't do anything til it's finished.

good luck with 2008!

Marcy said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR CHICA!!!

My gosh those kiddies are TOO darn cute!! I love it!! ;D ;D

Oooooo I might want to stay away from that book LOL. Sounds like it could be good and I'm pretty much the same way you are when I get a good one LOL

Anonymous said...

Awww, that is a very sweet photo.

P.O.M. said...

Way too cute!

I'm in line right behind you to pay the piper. Hopefully he takes credit cards.

Pokey said...

OMG, what an adorable pic!!!!! I am loving your son in the fairy costume....my 3 y/o son would totally dig it too!!!

You will recommit to your lifestyle changes and do just fine....I know it!