Friday, May 15, 2009

20 is on the horizon

Has it really been since Tuesday that I last posted? I guess I'm already on summer time.

I've run 4 days so far this week for a total of 15.52 miles (not that I count it down to the inch or anything). So tonight I need to run 4.48 miles & I'll hit my goal of running 20 miles this week. I'll probably round up to 4.5, just for fits & giggles.

To put this 20 mile thing in perspective, I've run four 20 mile weeks since I started running back in April 2007. One of those weeks was the Evansville half marathon, so really it's been three non-race weeks that I've run 20 miles.

So a consistent 20 mile week is a big goal for me. And it's an important part of getting ready to train for next year's marathon.

And maybe, if I keep saying it often enough & telling enough people about my plans for April 2010, the marathon will actually happen.

They say running is 90% mental. I'm working on the mental part by cementing the idea of "I will run a marathon" not "I might run a marathon."

The other 10% is physical (personally, I think physical preparation is a lot more than 10% of long distance running, but I'm just using these percentages for argument's sake).

The physical part for me started back on April 2, 2007, when I logged my first "walk/run" of 2.11 miles at 191.4 pounds.

It's hard to believe what a difference two years can make.

Happy weekend, bloggers!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Yea! Good for you on the nearly-20 miles this week!

So, how does it feel to have your groove back, Stella? :)

Helen said...

Wow, what fantastic progress!! And 20 miles is amazing!! Have a grrreat weekend!