Monday, March 09, 2009

How I'm Doing

Not so great. I feel like I shouldn't even post because I've not got much positive to say, but when did I ever let that stop me. Ha.

I did get a 4 mile run in on Saturday. It was gorgeous. Windy, but I ran in a tank top & shorts. I even got hot a few times! But that was the most healthy thing I did from Friday - Sunday.

I'm still in that no man's land between medications. I'm taking my new med, but my old one is still wearing off, I suppose, & my new one hasn't kicked in. Friday I came home around 5 p.m., got in bed, and didn't get out except for bodily necessities. Thankfully my Mom took care of the kids until Mark got home, then he took care of them. I felt like I had the flu, only without any body aches or sore throat or headache. Basically, I just couldn't move my body. At all.

It was awful.

Saturday was a teeny bit better, but only because I had to get out of bed. I'd volunteered with my Sunday School class to prepare & serve breakfast at a downtown shelter (the count was around 210 people that we served), so I was out the door at 7 a.m. It was good to be around people from church & realize how freaking blessed I am. I got home around 11 and went for a run. Then I took the kids & picked up a friend of Sophie's for a sleep over. Then I was back in bed from around 3 to 5 p.m. Two hours is about Mark's threshold for handling the kids, so I had to get up & help out after that.

Sunday we made it to church (after the time change--which kills me for the first few days), & then grocery shopped for a couple of hours then went home & put everything away & made lunch, and by then I was wiped again. I didn't lay in bed, but I camped in the recliner for the rest of the afternoon. Finally around 6 p.m. I started cleaning Sophie's room & gave her a bath.

I ate horribly all weekend, and Sunday morning I stepped on the scale, dreading what I'd see. 159.2.

I've got a lot of ground to make up. It's scary how quickly bad habits can add back the pounds. It was just a little over a week ago that I was at 151.4.

And running with the extra weight is a killer. I had mild shin splints on and off for the first 3 miles of my run Saturday.

But honestly, my energy is still in the tank & I feel like I'm barely functional. I'm praying these meds get straightened out quickly. I did take my blood pressure at Walmart Sunday and it was much better--the bottom number was 71 (down from 90 before medication).

Other bad news--Sophie woke up with another dizzy spell this morning. She also described a type of aura around objects for the first time today, and when I asked if she's had that before she said maybe twice before, just recently. That's a new development & to me says these episodes are truly leaning toward migraine, even though they are atypical. I'm still waiting for the St Louis Children's Hospital to call & get us an appointment. It should be soon. The good news with Sophie is her ADHD meds are going great. She got an A on her spelling test Friday, and that's the first A on a spelling test she's had all year. The side affects seem to be mostly gone now, too. I'm hopeful we'll luck out & the first med will be the right one.

Mark's on spring break this week, so he doesn't have class the next 3 nights. That should help. Maybe I'll have it in me to go for a run after work today.


LG said...

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well and that Sophie has had another spell. I'm glad you made it out for a run though.

You know, I'm not saying you shouldn't watch what you're doing but I'm only going to say if you've been sick, give yourself some time to heal and see what the weight is like.

Keep an eye out in your mailbox! :-) Get better, girlie!

Jodie said...

Glad you posted, even though you felt like you didn't have anything to positive to say. But your blood pressure is going down - that's great! And Sophie's doing great on her ADHD meds!

Changing medications is always difficult, dealing with the withdrawal of the old one, and getting use to the side effects of the new one. Good luck, know that we're here for you.

I hope you get a call about Sophie soon. It's so difficult to watch our little ones hurt. No matter how old, its hard to have no control over their pain. Hopefully you can get some answers soon.

Glad you had loved ones to get you through the weekend.

Dan said...

I was happy to discover your Life of L blog today. I was unable to find an email link in your profile. I hope it's OK that I'm contacting you through a public comment. Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well but happy to hear your daughter did well on her last spelling test! I've developed an educational program for Windows called SpellQuizzer that helps children learn their weekly spelling words without the battle that parents often have getting them to sit down and write them out while the parents dictate to them. The parent enters the child's spelling words into the software making a sound recording of each word. Then the software helps the child practice his or her words. It really helped my children with their weekly spelling lists.

Would you be interested in reviewing SpellQuizzer in Life of L? You can learn more about the program at There's a video demo you can watch at I'd be happy to send you a complimentary license for the software. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you very much!

Dan Hite
TedCo Software

Jill said...

There'a a light at the end of the's called SPRING and it will be here soon, bringing with it bunny rabbits and rainbows and EVENED-OUT HORMONES. Yay!! ;)

You know what to do if you need me, chickie! :)

Vickie said...

you know, it didn't sound down as much as it sounded like reality, factual account of what is going on with you.

I am not sure which is harder - weaning off one med or building on another - and you have both going on right now.

The weather here has been crazy - storms just rolling through which is not fun for migraine people - so if that is what is going on there too - it can't be helping sophie at all.

glad you posted - hope that things even themselves out for you - and that this week is a little easier.

Heather said...

im sorry you dont feel so great, but Im glad you are still posting and holding yourself accountable. sometimes things just click and other times they dont, but youll make it through this. hang in there!

MCM Mama said...

Hang in there! Things sound rough, but it also sounds like they are headed in the right direction for you.

Hope you get a call soon about Sophie and can get some answers. Glad the ADHD meds are working!

Cindy...154 said...

I hope you are feeling better. And I hope you can get some enlightenment on the dizzy spells. Haley had them bad for a while in 2006 at the beginning of middle school. we eliminated every possibility and chalked it up to migrane. She does not get them but rarely now. We will get the weight off. I am right there with you - except I saw the awful 160 last week. I am determined to get to where I was because it felt so good. Push ups are harder now. I really feel the weight and it is not my right size. I know I will appreciate my 150 more than ever. Even my 154. Hang in there. It will get better soon. It is amazing that you ran. Congrats on that. I was a slug all weekend but my food was better. Thanks for posting