Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holding Pattern

I feel like I'm stuck in a holding pattern, waiting for Normal to return.

My food is not normal. My workouts & running are not normal. My sleep is not normal. My kids' schedules are not normal. My blog reading is not normal.

All this anti-normal is putting me back into Old Normal mode. You know, the mode where I eat whatever I want and then feel guilty about it later. And of course the by product is excess fat on my body.

I'm not going to whine about it here, though. I've done enough whining lately.

I don't see things getting back to the New Normal any time soon. Today there is ice on the roads (I tried to go to work, but it was so slick I was sliding *up* hills, and I saw one fender bender just a mile from our house, so I turned around and took the kids & me back home), and I most likely won't get to go to the gym. Plus, I'm stuck in the house with two kids--Mark made it to work OK, he's not as nervous driving as I am--and that's a recipe for me to eat for comfort.

So, I'm just accepting what is right now. Christmas is in 2 days. The New Year is a time for fresh starts. I'll jump on the weight loss bandwagon with 90% of the world next week. I know what to do. I've just got to get going & do it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and me both sister. My skinny jeans are feeling too tight to make me happy (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the apple pie and ice cream I had at 8:30 last night -whatev).

I've been off the wagon for the last, oh I don't know, two months it seems. The cold weather and the holidays make it so hard to stay focused, but I've been telling myself that once it warms up again, I'll be soooo back on the wagon kicking tail and taking names, so I'm not terribly worried about it right now.

We are going to be okay, Laura. Let's just get through the next week and a half and start over then, mkay? Maybe we could start some kind of new year challenge or something?

I hope you have a good Christmas and I'm sure I'll see you around on Facebook! =)

Oooh - and here's something to get you excited - American Idol starts in January too!! Woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! The holidays are a time to just relax and just make it through. Having the kids underfoot all day every day certainly changes the dynamic. We'll all get back on track in the New year.

Vickie said...

the ice is terrible here too - it must be the whole state - I have not watched the news at all.

We popped up above freezing for a short time - and some of the worst of it melted off the driveways.

I think you will be running at the gym this winter. Is there an indoor track or just treadmills?

it is supposed to be like this for the next several months. We have a lot of trees and bushes bent nearly to the ground.

Don't be oprah and wait for your big show in January. the next minute is your new start. what ever your situation is now - one more week of non-normal can pile on quite a bit.

If you have to face plant in a plate of something - make it a healthy plate of something.

your note about Sophie made me remember that I have been in to doctor's office with general dizziness a LOT in my life. I think that I always associated it with migraines or TTOM. but didn't perceive it as a condition in itself until dizzies hit and wouldn't go away (bad dizzies that lasted for days and sent me to ENT - it started in yoga and I literally couldn't get off the floor).

The pill that I am on (very low dose but 3 per day) is used for anti seisure normally, but it was prescribed for me to help with anxiety (only) so that I could function and sleep. He didn't write it for the dizzies - and I have not thought of it as helping with the dizzies. But now I wonder.

I also now wonder if what I SEE as dizzy actually IS seizures??? Because I had many times where I felt I was on the edge of something bigger that went away with the meds too. I have to take mine very regularly - they really told you that you could take as needed? does it say that on the bottle? interesting.

Vickie said...

merry christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

Merry merry Christmas, Laura!

Don't worry, we all know how good the new normal feels to go back to the old normal. As Jill said, we have 3.5 days (or whatever it is for you) to get through and then we can all work together on our new normal in the New year!

Relax and enjoy this time with your family and your beautiful kids.

Vickie said...

Merry Christmas again - because now it actually is Christmas morning!!! (I am up before all the kids - they all went to bed after I did - so it might be a while. You are probably already up with your little ones).

I am so glad that we 'met' - I love having you in my life! I wish you the very best this holiday season and for 2009!!!