Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stable

Everything's on an even keel right now. My weight, my moods, my life -- are all fairly stable. No surprises, nothing to freak out over, nothing to get too excited about.

Stable = normal = GOOD

I haven't lost anymore weight. I've been stuck in the 153 range for over a week. I'm eating on plan 95% of the time (I had frozen cool whip for dessert one night & a couple handfuls of mini chocolate chips another night...not on plan, but not a disaster, either).

The problem is I'm not exercising. I ran last Friday for 3 miles, & that was it for the entire week. My schedule was nuts with my Dad's illness & Sophie's appointment in St Louis, and one thing after another, blah blah blah and there's no time for ME. I haven't worked out yet this week either. I am kicking around the morning run idea again, and I was awake this morning at 5:15, but I just didn't have it in me to go running. I looked outside to see if it was raining, but that was the extent of my efforts. I probably ought to quit kidding myself that I'm ever going to be a morning workout person.

But I want to be. I want to burn those calories in the a.m. when my body will take them from my fat stores. I want to get my runs out of the way so my evenings are free. And I really, really want to lose more weight. You'd think these would be motivation enough to get me moving.

It's not. Yet.

If you're a converted morning exerciser (as in, you are NOT a morning person but you have managed to recreate yourself into a morning exerciser...I don't need to hear from you larks who just naturally pop out of bed without an alarm, because I'm so jealous of you that I could scream), please share how you do it.

Or come over & drag my sorry butt out of bed at 5 a.m. That would help, big time.

13 comments:

steffy said...

I am a converted morning workout'er. I get all my stuff together the night before and when that alarm goes off - I simply do not talk to myself. I go in auto mode and if by chance sleep is winning the battle - i tell myself I am committed to this - it's not just a hobby.

Doc Manette said...

Can't help you - for many years I set the alarm for 5:00 am to exercise, may have happened a few times. But I have hope in mankind and bet you will get there.

Glad everything is good.

Unknown said...

Try signing up for a race -- that gets me going when nothing else will.

Helen said...

Sorry, I'm a nighttime exerciser. I know that trying to get up early is just setting myself up for defeat. ;-)

But it's great to maintain with this program...I know that when I stick with it, it works.

I'm anxious to read the Time article this week about exercise. DB tells me that the bottom-line conclusion is that exercise makes you healthy, but diet makes you thin.

Erika said...

I'm so not a morning person either. I forced myself to do my long runs for marathon training in the morning (because of the heat), but other than that and races, I never run before 9am, and even that's pushing it LOL.

Glad you are feeling pretty stable though.

MCM Mama

Vickie said...

I am a morning exerciser - but not 5am. So, I will not be much help.

The first thing that came to mind is WHAT TIME ARE YOU GOING TO BED?????

Are you giving yourself a chance at being able to get up early?

And if you are going to bed too late to have a real, honest chance at getting up early - what is changeable in your day (so that you can get to bed early enough?)

I will share that when I know it is going to be hard in the morning - I sleep in my exercise clothes and have my socks and shoes and water setting by the back door. . .

debby said...

Vickie is right, of course. No way you can or should be a morning exerciser if you are going to bed at midnight. There are enough studies showing that a lack of sleep = lack of weight loss to make your sleep as important to you as your running.

That said, I really related to your statement ' I probably ought to quit kidding myself that I'm ever going to be a morning workout person.

But I want to be.'

How would you like to be accountability partners across the country? I have a couple of ideas--email me if you are interested!

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Morning workouts are what I have to do. With 7 kids, it's the only time I know for sure it's going to happen!

Juliette said...

Yeah, I just turn on the alarm and I get up and do it. I go to bed dressed in my running clothes, so all I have to do is get in my contacts and I'm off. Being already dressed adds to the shame when I don't run and I have to wake up (again) in my running clothes. I always feel way better after I do it, too.

For the last couple of weeks I've been running with my daughter in the afternoons (she has cross country practice) and it sucks. It's hotter and I'm out of energy at the end of the day.

And I am not a morning person. If I can sleep till 9:30, I am happy...but I know I've also wasted me day.

Jill A said...

Hey remember last year when I was getting up and working out? Here's what I did: when the alarm came on, I would ask myself, "Okay do you want to get up and work out or do you want to be mad at yourself and feel like a loser all day?" For some reason, that really worked for me - I didn't want to FEEL like a loser all day, so I got up. I guess I need to try that again! Good luck girlie - maybe next week when I go back to work, I'll get up early with you and we can work out "together"! :)

Doc Manette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doc Manette said...

Sorry, delete was me (still not awake enough to write).

Maybe you could apply "baby steps" - the first month, promise yourself that you will get up early one day a week to run (just don't choose a Friday, Saturday or Sunday). That means a goal of 4 x's/month. Not setting yourself up to fail is essential so there isn't any need to feel frustrated or angry at yourself.

Or, maybe could go into work a little later once a week - wake up in time to get the kids to school (dress in your "athletic mom" wear) after both are at school/ go for your well deserved run. Then go home and shower - go to work.

I've just been thinking about myself - and how will I incorporate exercise into my schedule once I go back to work.

LMI said...

I actually have a horrible suggestion. I have never been a morning person, but I found that when I am off caffeine, I can get up at 5 a.m. and exercise a lot easier, and the exercise kinds of acts like a kickstart. Hard to do, though--I'm trying to love decaf!