Sunday, August 06, 2006

Measurements, the Scale, and Clothing Sizes

So clothing sizes are not reliable for how much thinner we are becoming, at least that's what I'm gathering from others. My recent success with size 14s, although I am excited about it, is probably rather meaningless. Apparently the clothing companies are giving in to our expanding bodies and fragile egos and moving sizes down a notch. My 14s are likely really 16s. Whatever.

The scale isn't lying (for the most part). It's fickle, but a pound is still a pound. Right?!?!?! Despite all the ignorant talk at WW meetings I overhear, that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. Whaaaat? It's semantics, I suppose, but it niggles at me and I so want to correct these women when I hear it, but let it pass. I learned back in grade school that a pound is a pound, from the old joke "which weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks?" Muscle is denser than fat, which is what they really mean.

Anyway, I took my measurements today. In total, I've lost another 3 inches in just over a month. That's almost 10 inches in 11 weeks. I remember reading who-knows-where that one pound lost will equal one inch lost. Not one inch in a specific spot, but one inch all added up when added from everywhere you measure.

Between the compliments, the scale, the tape measure, the clothes shopping on the "normal" side of the store, and being able to climb stairs holding Sophie without wanting to die, I am doing pretty well. As long as the ice cream stays out of the house, I think I can keep this thing up.


And, all you AFG's, thank you so much for reading my blog and checking in on me. Lori, Jen, and A.J., thank you all especially for the comments. Love you guys!

Personal transformation takes a long time and a lot of work.

No comments: