Monday, May 09, 2011

Monday Update (182.6)

I worked out four times last week, but none this weekend.  One pilates class, two step classes (one was only 45 minutes), and one day of walking/bike at the gym.  I didn't get to a body pump class, which I actually may have to avoid anyway.  After I took weight lifting classes a couple weeks ago, my forearm started hurting from the nerve damage.  My physical therapist had said it could take 6 months for my arm to completely heal, and I should not lift heavy weights at certain angles.  She's fine with body weight exercises in yoga or pilates, but not weight lifting. I tried the body pump classes when my arm had been feeling all healed, and I damaged it again.  Guess that's something I had to learn for myself.

I know I need to step up the cardio if I want to lose weight.  I am happy with the gym routine I have going.  I just need to do more.

I also let my food slip this weekend. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.  We went to Indianapolis to a concert (just Mark & me, the kids stayed with my mom).  We stayed with Mark's sister and brother-in-law, who just moved to a new house north of Indy.  It was a nice visit.  I love his family. 

We got home late Sunday afternoon, and the night went way too quickly, and so it was like we didn't even have a weekend together as a family.  Nobody handles that well.  I had a bowl of cereal at 10 pm because I was feeling sad. 

I didn't gain a ton of weight over the weekend, but I also didn't lose anything. I can't routinely let two days blow up the good work I do the rest of the week.  I was mindful many times of how often I felt like eating because I was tired or lonely or bored or frustrated, and I didn't eat to soothe myself.  So that's a tiny bit of progress. 

I'm not feeling particularly wordy today, so I'll try and write more tomorrow.

To see what I want to be writing about myself soon -- go read Shauna's post.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

I really identify with the feeling that if you get away and do something for yourself, it sort of throws off the weekend and rolling into the next week is hard. We have started trying for Fridays (yes, that means day off work) so we still have weekend. The Sunday Syndrome thing is hard for me anyway (at least I know it is a real thing for many people and it isn't just me).

I did read Shauna's post, and Jennette's that she referenced, and enjoyed them very much. I felt need for caution as I read. One has to be careful not to go too much the opposite direction. And that is hard for all of us - two sides of the same coin. Middle ground is tough. I always go back to my 3 little questions:
what am I actually doing?
mean to be doing?
is is working?
Because those three questions balance me both directions - under doing and over doing? they take into account all areas of my life.

Jill A said...

That Sunday thing is precisely why, whenever we take vacation in the summer, I always plan on coming home Saturday afternoon. I need Sunday to feel centered and ready for the week ahead. My smoothest weekends are the ones where I have a super busy Saturday and a laid back Sunday - those are my favorites. Sometimes we have movie night on Sunday nights - we eat dinner early and the kiddos take baths, then we watch whatever family movie we have rented. It's a nice way to wind down the weekend and be together.

Shauna said...

Great progress Laura! All these small victories are adding up... thank you for linking to my post too :) xx