Tuesday, September 14, 2010


I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm doing OK on the food front. I wasn't, and I'd gained some more, but I've been doing better and I feel better. The pounds are creeping down. I don't feel food crazy.

But I hate to even whisper about doing well, because of the jinx factor. It's been inevitable lately...I blog about how well things are going, and the next day I fall apart.

I just want to be consistent. Consistency was key in 2007 and 2008. That's what I need to find again.

I haven't been running according to my plan for the 10/10/10 half marathon. It's so frustrating. I have a treadmill so there's no excuse other than at the end of the day after I get home with the kids, I'm spent and have no energy to even put my running shoes on (by far the hardest part of working out is just getting dressed for it). I did 4.25 miles on Saturday morning, but that was it last week. So far this week I've done 0 miles.

Mark left for Philadelphia for work last Friday. He gets home late tonight. Sophie had a dizzy spell and a stomach virus (vomiting for 12 hours, poor kid) on Saturday, and the dizzy hasn't left yet. She missed school yesterday and today. It's her first spell since April, and it's not horrible. She can walk and do things, she just can't move quickly or bend down, and school is too much of a challenge for her. She can't think if her head is spinning inside. I think orange juice may have helped set this one off; it's the only migraine trigger she had more of in the days prior to the migraine. She's not had problems with it before, but she's not a big OJ drinker. That plus a virus plus a weather change on Saturday & Sunday must have been enough. I just don't know why it takes so long for them to go away, even with migraine abortive meds.

Dad is slowly declining. He's having more trouble breathing, is having more pain, is having more trouble moving his fingers to use his joystick mouse to communicate. We are hoping the hospice nurse allows him to go to the hospice center soon. I'm praying every day his suffering, and ours, ends sooner than later.

All in all, I'm doing OK. I just hope the universe doesn't hunt me down & put a pox on me for uttering that out loud.


Jill said...

OH I'm the queen of the jinx. Always happens just the way you said -one day things are great, the next day they all go to heck.

Glad you got a handle on the food thing though. And I totally know about the not-working-out thing. It's hard at the end of the day when all you want to do is relax but you've got dinner and homework and laundry and working out...it's hard being a working mom!! Maybe things will get easier once Mark gets home.

I just don't know what to say about your dad - it seems so harsh to say, "I hope he goes soon", but I know it will be so much better for you and your family once he does. You all can grieve and move on with your lives - that's what I mean by "better". There's nothing soothing I can say about it, and the more I try, the worse it gets! I hope you know that I'm thinking of you and I hope you can move on from this soon. (((hugs)))

Vickie said...

make hay while the sun shines nelly

I may have typed that for you a dozen times before, or never, can't remember. But that is absolutely how I have to look at it. Because it seems like (about) every other day, the other shoe drops.

Tish said...

Laura, it sounds like things are going pretty well. Hang in there. I'm pulling for you. I don't believe in jinxes.modoutsm